Running should feel natural

Running should feel natural

Monday, October 22, 2012

Getting Bored...

Okay, this is starting to get really boring.

I am executing my plan of taking 2 FULL weeks of rest after Chicago and its not easy.  The first week actually wasn't bad, catch up on some movies, sleep in on weekends, and just generally savor and soak up the accomplishment of running sub 3.  However, this past week was trying - the weather is perfect for running and I can't be out there enjoying it.  To make matters worse, I really can't do much of anything outside since it all involves physical activity and the whole point of resting is to do as little physical activity as possible to let your body heal.

I actually did the smart thing and went to the Doctor's office to get my lower leg x-rayed just to make sure its not a stress fracture or something.  Fortunately everything came back negative so I will continue with my plan to bike/spin/cross-train this week, and attempt to run next week providing it feels normal.  Its not running but at least ill be burning off some of this excess energy I have stored up.

Even though running Marine Corps Marathon is still not going to happen, I give myself about a 75% chance of running the Potomac Heritage Trail 50k in 2 weeks - I actually consider it low risk, since its on trails and I am just doing it as a training run (ie not trying to push myself).  The JFK50 Miler is another 2 weeks after that and thats what I really hope to be running.  With all this resting and worry about being injured I will be scaling back my goal for JFK, not that I should really have a goal time for my first 50 mile race.  Just the plan is to go out as slow as I can stand effort-wise and just try to keep it steady.

Keeping my fingers crossed that my legs feel better soon and I am able to get a few more training runs in before then.

Update:  Well, I went to my spinning class last night and the soreness/ pain in my lower leg came right back.  Pretty down now that I won't be running the Potomac Heritage 50k, as I should be resting at least the next 2 weeks.  My only hope for JFK is that I can get a few runs in the week before the race and then just run it as slow as possible.  Visiting the Doctor/ Ortho today to try and get an accurate diagnosis to gauge my next steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment