Running should feel natural

Running should feel natural

Thursday, November 29, 2012

When will it end?

I apologize in advance for this post, which is basically just ranting, whining, and an act of self indulgence.

This injury is driving me crazy.  After the green light from my ortho doc I started doing a few short runs.  First few runs had walking breaks, maybe 2-3 miles total.  I kept up the cross training and spinning too.  Then I would run/walk 3-4 miles.  Still didn't feel 100%, but felt pretty good all things considered.  Tuesday I did 5 miles of continuous running on a crisp and cool winter evening.  Actually it felt pretty great.

Then, last night, a bit of tenderness came back in my leg, and today its become obvious to me that its too sore to run on.  So back to the drawing board - resting at least 3 more days, then ill try a spinning class again, and rethink running next week.

It just won't end.  It's been almost 2 months since Chicago.  I'm not asking to go run a 50k tomorrow, or get back to 75 mile weeks, I just want to do a few fun runs a week.  I've gained like 3 pounds, I know it sounds crazy to care about that, but im getting close to 185 lbs and you don't see any fast guys nearly that big.  I suppose I could have a shot at a Clydesdale class in Marine Corps Marathon someday.

I know it will get better someday, and that in the meantime all I can do is cross-train to maintain fitness.  But I hate cross-training, I don't just not enjoy it, I find it demoralizing.  Staying seating during spinning while everyone else stands, extra driving and sitting in traffic just to get to the gym, never being outside, dealing with dreaded "gym people".  The only part I like is lifting weights, seriously pumping iron, which is counter-productive to running since it just makes you bigger and heavier.

Yes, I know im the millionth injured runner to have these thoughts, and there will be a million more, but it doesn't make it any more bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment