Running should feel natural

Running should feel natural

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Going Green at Rock-n-Roll USA

Rock-and-Roll USA Half-Marathon Recap

Location: Washington DC
Time:  1:35:29
Date: March 16, 2013

I signed up for the Rock-and-Roll USA Marathon last year.  Shortly after finishing the full marathon last year I was offered a discounted sign-up for this year (to lock me in early) so I immediately signed up.  It was something like $65, a real steal for a big race like this!  After my injury last fall and some so-so winter training I knew it wouldn't be wise to run a full marathon a month before Boston, so I switched to the half-marathon.  I also used this opportunity to not race (or, rather, attempt to PR), something I need to do more often if I want to continue to enjoy running for the long haul.  The plan was to pace a friend for his full marathon -- his goal being under 3:10, or a 1:35 half-marathon.

Oh, since it was a day before St. Patrick's day I also decided to incorporate some green into my outfit.  Enter: The Green Man.  I had always wanted to run a big race in a ridiculous outfit. This was a good opportunity to 1-up all the other people wearing green for St. Patty's day.  So Friday afternoon, I headed to the costume store on the bottom floor of the Ballston Mall in Arlington and at approximately 6:30 pm I was the proud owner of a green body suite.

This was a new challenge for multiple reasons.  13.1 fastish miles, no drinking, no spitting, minimal breathing, and a lot of sweating all over.  The weather cooperated pretty well that day, cool in the morning and no rain.  It felt nice starting off, but soon my head and neck were drenched in sweat.  Breathing was different, I had to take quick, sharp breaths in and out while curling my upper lip out.  Maybe I could market this as a training tool? Also, [very] fortunately, chafing was not an issue.  I was tempted multiple times to remove the headwear but I held out!

Logistics were no walk in the park either.  Getting to the race early enough to duck off where no one could see me to change, and then after the race finding another forested area to change back.  I wanted to stay anonymous during the race.  It was worth it though for the cheers, er, jeers, and well everything else.  I heard lots of "Green Man!" and "Green Dude!', as well as "Gumby", "Army Man", and even "Dinosaur".  Kids seemed to like it, asking "Why is that mean green?".  Shortly after running by most people I heard comments about the insane sweat marks around most of my body.  Overall, I'm saying it was a success!

This was a tough course, different than the past few years with several major hills, the largest of which was a super steep quarter mile as we left Rock Creek Park about 6 miles into the race.  This had everyone gasping for breath.  I fell behind my pace a little, but was able to make most of it up on the final mile (which was slightly downhill) with a final sprint to the finish.   Final time of 1:35:29, or a pace of 7:17 minute per mile.  I was happy with this - its purpose was served; to run a race with friends, to have fun, to get a decently long tempo run in, and (most importantly) to be ridiculous.

I am still giving this race a thumbs up, and while some people don't like the Rock-n-Roll branding I support it.  Apparently the National Marathon (as this race was previously known) was at risk for going under and this is a good market for Rock-n-Roll races so things worked out.  The course became more difficult with the inclusion of more and bigger hills in the first half this year, through running down toward Arlington Cemetery and through Rock Creek Park was a nice addition.  This was close to being a PR course in years past at the Half-Marathon distance.  The full Marathon wasn't "hilly" but it was by no means flat.  It would have been tough to hold your pace for the full Marathon this year.

After the Half-Marathon I waited around for my friends running the Full-Marathon, a much more admirable task and one that I'm still not sure I could pull off in a Green Man bodysuit.  Here's to hoping!

Great job to Randy, running 3:08 in only his second
 Marathon - the kids a natural!

No comments:

Post a Comment