Running should feel natural

Running should feel natural

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Running (and walking) the Potomac Heritage Trail

Trail Running in your backyard

This past weekend was my last chance to get a long, slow, trail run in preparation for my upcoming 50k.  With 2 weeks to go I could not have waited any longer, and since Boston was 2 weeks ago I could not have done this any sooner.  Logistics were tough, since I ran a 5k Friday evening and another one Sunday morning.  I rested all day Saturday since I wanted to be fresh for Sunday's race.

I set out around 3:00pm Sunday from my doorstep to dark skies and some light rain.  This can be a recipe for disaster, but the rain held up and I had enough energy (thanks to a nap and about a half a dozen pancakes consumed after the morning 5k).  I had also been feeling a slight tinge in my lower left leg.  As much as I hate to admit it, this could be the start of a shin splint, but I needed to get this training run in.  Afterward I would be free to rest and crosstrain as much as needed to heal things up before the 50k.

My goals were clear: to spend 4 or more hours on my feet, regardless of mileage (though around 20 miles would be nice), and spend a significant portion of that walking.  Also to use my Ultra Running Vest to make sure its comfortable and fine tune what I should be carrying.

I ran the incredible Potomac Heritage Trail, accessible from where I live in North Arlington via a few connector trails, though the actual trail head starts from Roosevelt Island.  Things started off as planned, which included some tip-toeing over both flat rocky terrain, and scrambling up a series of rocks closer to the intersection with Chain Bridge road.

Part of the infamous rock scramble on the
Potomac Heritage Trail near where it
crosses Chain Bridge.  Hold on to the rail
Easy does it!
This picture doesn't appear to be anything
special, but I see it as beauty in simplicity.
Just you, nature, and an open trail - no
people, cars, or buildings.  This is often
what trail runners strive for.






















After making my way across Chain Bridge Road I continue on the trail, make a stream crossing to the other side of Pimmit Run and continue up a steep path to Fort Marcy Park.  After some more steep up and down hill portions there is a section along side the George Washington Parkway.  It feels odd running near cars traveling over 50 MPH especially after having just moved so slowly through the wilderness.  After a few more climbs and ascents the trail flattens out as it nears the Potomac River.  Here I travel along with long a few stream crossing until I reach the next major landmark, the I-495 American Legion Bridge.

Behold!  The I-495 American Legion Bridge passing over the Potomac River.  Though it ind of breaks up the feeling
of solitude and natural beauty, it provides for an  interesting contrast.
After going under 495 I popped out in an affluent neighborhood and took a left on Live Oak Drive.  After about a mile on this road you come to an entry point for Scotts Run Nature preserve.  Scotts Run has multiple routes of trails to build anywhere from a 2 to 6 mile loop out of.  After a couple wrong turns I did a small loop that returned me to Live Oak Drive.  Now it was just a matter of retracing my steps back to the Potomac Heritage Trail to get me home.  I opted not to fill up my water on the way out, but this way veered right onto a side trail about 2 miles after the 495 bridge underpass.

A huge advantage of taking this route is that I can make a stop at Turkey Run Park, conveniently connected to the trail as indicated by signs along the way.  This gives you access to restrooms and (more importantly) a source of potable water.  There are several options in Turkey Run but I like to wait until the last one near the park headquarters.  On a hot day its smart to fill up both on the way out and on the way back, but this day was just cool enough that I only filled up on the way back.  I carry Nuun tablets and toss a couple in my hydration bladder each time I fill up.  Water is absolutely essential to trail running, not only due to the obvious thirst factor but you would not be able to eat and keep down food products without it.

Natural beauty can be observed in smaller doses as well.
About 3 hours into my journey I was starting to get tired, very thirsty and fatigued.  This is why you do mega-training runs like this, to know what to expect in your trail race and train yourself to handle it better.  You really can't duplicate these conditions on roads hence why I felt it was even more important to get out on the trails.  Once I was getting close I opted for some hilly paved roads to save a little time rather than the aforementioned rock scrambling on the trail.  While it wasn't dark out yet the low light made it tough to see the trail and I was more comfortable on the road.  Made it home around 8:00pm, hungry, thirsty, tired, and with a bit of soreness all over.  Overall a great outing!

20 miles in 4 hours, with a good portion of that walking.


1 comment: