Running should feel natural

Running should feel natural

Friday, June 21, 2013

Running versus Biking

How can I incorporate cycling into my Summer Ultra-Training?

Its actually tough to find advice on this online.  Most plans either have you doing all running or all cycling depending on your goal race.  Not to mention, any "beginner cycling" programs just assume you are not fit or very athletic yet.  I plan to get in at least a couple mid-distance runs per week and always a long run on Saturdays.  Sundays I will do a big trail run every third week.  This should get me in good Ultra shape, round me out so I can do the Reston Century Bike Ride in August, and springboard me into more focused Ultra Training for the JFK 50 miler in Fall.

  So I'm hoping my summer "cycle" will look something like this:

Day of Week
Workout
Mon Medium Run (7-8 miles) OR Spin Class, and weights
Tues 20-24 Mile Bike Ride, moderate effort
Wed 22-26 Mile Bike Ride, hard effort and hills
Thurs Medium Run (6-9 miles)
Fri Rest Day or Easy Bike Ride (14-16 miles)
Sat Long Run Day (13-20 miles) on road, if more desired do on trails   - OR -
Long bike ride (~40-80 miles)
Sun 3 options:
  • Medium bike ride (~25-40 miles) and short run (~5 miles)
  • Long bike ride (~65-110 miles)
  • Long trail run (~4-5 hours)


That being said, ever since the ultra I have felt banged up, achy, and sore all over my legs and want to wait until they feel 100% (not 75%, or even 95% like usual) to start back up running.  So for the past few weeks (and more likely the next few weeks) I've been doing only biking (with a weekly spinning class and weight lifting session).

Me impersonating one of those coooool
D.C. bike dudes - getting my bike out of my
company's bike parking lot.

What am I good for?


Mentally I am more of a runner.  Running is tough, and there are no excuses, its just getting out there and putting in the miles and hard work.  Cyclists (and don't even get me started on triathletes) have to deal with equipment and maintenance of that gear.  All the matching outfits, branded jerseys, and high-end bikes only feed their (sometimes enormous) egos.  I love that running just feels pure, just you and the road (or trail), with only your own body either holding you back or propelling you forward.

Physically I think I am actually better suited as a cyclist.  The optimal body type for both sports is to be much shorter and smaller than I am, typically the best marathoners and cyclists are something like 5'7" and less than 140 lbs. However, being on a bike it doesn't hurt you nearly as bad to weigh more, and the added height at least gives you some mechanical advantage as far as torque and power transfer goes.  While you are on the bike its all about your power-to-weight ratio.

You also can be better suited for a role if you are on a cycling team - that role usually being to block the wind for your teammates to draft off you in the early stages of a race.  I'll also never be super skinny which taller runners need to be, and find it easier to pack up extra muscle when needed.  We have all seen the huge quads and calf muscles on cyclists.

Now THIS is a commute I can get used to!  Even better than I got to pass
over a completely gridlocked 495 while riding comfortably on by.
I have also been enjoying biking to and from work lately.  While I have attempted to run to and from work in the past, its tough (at 10 miles each way), and takes a lot of logistics to pull it off since you can really only carry a key and an ID while you run.

Thursday I was fortunate enough to make it out to my local Fun Run.  I felt super fit in the lungs and had plenty of energy to run fast, though my hips still held me back a bit.  Things felt kind of sore the next morning as well, but better within 24 hours.  This is encouraging but also reinforces that I should take it easy with the running, no consecutive days, and spend a few weeks to realistically build back up to longer distances.  The cycling should keep my cardio in check in the mean time.

Next week I'm going out to Colorado for vacation.  This will provide a much needed break from work and an overall change of scenery.  I won't be getting any cycling in but I am hoping to run plenty of soft, packed dirt trails.  I've already checked out a Denver Trail Running group, local trail race, and a rave run in Telluride. Oh, and a conveniently timed Beer Festival, but that's not related to running or biking... is it?

1 comment:

  1. Cool thanks - just trying to explain everything as I experience it and reflect back on it.

    ReplyDelete