Running should feel natural

Running should feel natural

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Finally done with my first 100

Just a quick blurb before I am able to write up a real race recap.

Its finally over!  I completed my first 100 miler at Grindstone last weekend, and it was freaking tough!  This was a particularly hard 100 miler so it surprised a lot of people I chose this as my first.  Rocky terrain, long, steep ascents and descents, and a 6:00pm friday start time meant even more sleep deprivation than a morning start.

There were no easy sections, and I had to dig myself out of lows that I never thought I could experience.  I hiked the uphills and some of the downhills.  I speed walked the majority of the last 25 miles as my legs were so sore I could barely get them to run.  But its done.  And while I kinda hated the whole thing, I also kinda loved it.

How long did this take me? A long time.  The first half took about 15 hours and the second half took much longer at 18 hours due to all the walking, for a grand total of 33 hours, 31 minutes, 11 seconds to get through 101.85 miles and 23,000 feet of elevation gain/ loss.  Thats over 33 hours on your feet walking and running.

At the finish, new buckle in hand.


Just glad to be finished, feeling accomplished, refueling & resting, and after only a day surprisingly not too sore.  Full race recap to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment