Running should feel natural

Running should feel natural

Monday, January 7, 2013

2013 Tentative Race Calendar

Now that I am confident in making a comeback I am already planning my 2013 races, and yes I realize its probably a little early to be thinking about a year of races - but its just so fun to plan out!  Though this might sound obsessive compulsive (runners are typically Type-A personalities), its pretty logical.  Most serious runners I know have their calendars planned out a a year in advance.  Though this doesn't allow for the "spontanuity of life", it does allow you to accomplish your racing goals, hit PRs, and not have conflicts with work and personal/family life.  Planning things out in advance is also cheaper, as races often increase in price as time goes on, and booking hotels and air travel is usually more expensive last minute.

These races could very well change (I haven't registered for all of them yet) but this is what I would like to do.  I do not plan on attempting a Marathon PR so I feel as though a multiple marathon spring is doable.  I hate to think about getting injured again, but an injury could also lead to some schedule juggling. My focus race for Spring is going to be the Northface 50 Miler.  My goal is to get around 8 hours, maybe 8:30.  This should be enough for a top 20 finish.  Its a tough, hilly course so its hard to accurately set a goal.  In a flatter 50 Miler I would like to try and break 8 hours.  This will mean a Spring of mostly ultra style training (which probably means my 5k times will suffer).  I'm not really sure what to plan for myself mid-summer, but I will probably need a break from long distance racing so my only plan for June is no plan at all.   Fall is too far off to really know for sure other than that I would like to do Marine Corps and JFK50.

I would like to do some traveling in early Fall as well so this will off-set my Fall goals.  Oktoberfest has been calling my name for way too long!
Beer, how I love you. Prost!

So here is my tentative schedule for Spring and Summer of 2013, with a few comments on each:
  • Feb 9: Holiday Lake 50k++  - Update: so much for this. Going to a Birthday Party the night before so I won't be able to do this race.  Probably for the best if I want to continue my conservative approach.
  • Feb 23: Have a Heart 5k (PR? I'll go for it! Good test for my speed building sessions)
  • March 10: Fort Hunt 10k (PR? Go for it!)
  • March 16: Rock-n-Roll USA Marathon (in D.C.), (PR? no way, make it a training run)
  • March 23: Terrapin Mountain 50k - Once again, this probably isn't realistic.  If am need the rest I should take it, and if im up for a big back-to-back training weekend I can just stay local.  There is a St. Patrick's themed 5k I plan on doing back in Warrenton this weekend at least.
  • April 15: Boston Marathon, (PR? no way, time to have some fun!)
  • April 21: GW Parkway 10 miler, (PR? nope, pacing a friend and showing off my Boston swag!)
  • Late April: Fly Like an Eagle 5k, (PR? Quite possible as long as I'm rested - go for the repeat win!)
  • Early May: Corporate 5k, could be a win!  Not like there are a lot of runners at work, but my company does have a few speedsters (PR? slow course, but its possible)
  • May 11: Capon Valley 50k, (PR? Possibly, its a hilly course so might be tough.  However I do want to go all out since it will be my last shot at the 20-29 yr old age group! My B-day = May 12th)
  • June 1: Northface 50 Miler, (PR? Well, yes it will be a PR since it will be my first 50 miler!)
  • August 4th: Dahlgren 50k, (PR? Probably not since it will likely be 90 and humid out, but I would like to have a respectable finish - top 10?)
I might toss a few other 5k's or 8k's in there.  I have more middle distances races I would like to do, but unfortunately utilizing a weekend for a junk-race kind of sucks that time away from Ultra Training.  You can't get a mega back-to-back training weekend in very easily if you are doing a race!

All these races might look intimidating and give a high risk for injury, but I'm promising myself I won't be a "mileage nazi".  That is to say, I'm not going to be overly concerned with weekly mileage in favor of getting my long weekend runs (and back-to-back long runs) in, feeling strong and healthy.  Rest every Friday, Spinning every Monday.  Maybe 6-8 miles on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and track work wednesday (for about 8 miles total).  No more than 18 miles of running at a time on roads, if I need more do trails.  If I need a long run Sunday do almost all on trail.  I would like to have a few high mileage weeks in the 75-85 MPW range, and if I am feeling really worn down I'll even consider a couple "down" weeks of under 30 MPW with multiple rest days.

Could be a very successful year in my evolution toward Ultra-Running, or a complete failure - only time will tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment