Running should feel natural

Running should feel natural

Sunday, January 27, 2013

What else?

So now, reevaluating things during my newest setback I'm left wondering, what else is out there?

A Direction in Life

I never intended to make this a "pink cupcake" blog, that is to say the primary focus is on running and things related to running.  I have come across a lot of running blogs (which I call "pink cupcake" blogs) that are really more about baking, pink decorations, and social events than anything else.  However, that being said, I am going to cave in a little and expand my horizons because you know what?  Running really isn't that interesting, its how you connect it with your life that matters.  And when you are injured or just in maintenance-mode and not really racing much, there isn't a lot to report on.

Re-planning my plan

I have at least adjusted my plans moving forward.  I am basically going to rest for the remainder of January, then slowly try to build back up in February.  I have a Marathon to run in DC during Mid-March.  If I can do a 22 mile long run 2 or 3 weeks out from this Marathon with ease ill give myself the green light to run, albeit at an easy pace.  If not, I have the option to switch to the 1/2 Marathon.  Completion of either events should mean I am at least in good enough shape to run Boston.

Speed work? Possible.  Back-to-back weekends? Not for a while.  5 hour trail runs? Don't even think about it.

What else is out there?

For some reason runners seem to really take to Happy Hour when they aren't able to run.  Maybe its just the next logical outlet for our addiction loving personalities, or at best a way to fill the time with things we enjoy - friends and beer - when running isn't an option.  Some of my favorite spots to grab a beer are World Of Beer and Galaxy Hut (in Arlington), and Church Key, Iron Horse, and Elephant and Castle (in D.C.).
 

Its amazing, as busy as everyone is around us at work, how much free time you really do have.  When you plan your life around running 12+ hours a week, you have to think of stuff to fill that time with when you are resting.  Certainly a few hours a week is filled with gym time, spinning classes, and long walks.

I'm also a big movie buff (though some would say 'snob'), so I have spent some of this down time since Chicago re-watching some of my favorites as well as catching up on new releases.  That being said, I'll share my 3 all-time favorite movies:

These aren't just great movies, they are movies that I relate to on a different level than the typical blockbuster or tear jerker.  Sure, its easy enough to say your favorite movie is something obvious, like Titanic, The Dark Knight, or Shawshank Redemption - but this wouldn't really inform someone about you, just reinforce what is already known.  For more movie info, see my movie mini-blog (under construction).


I also enjoy playing guitar, so downtime at home usually means more guitar practicing.  I own several guitars, 1 electric and 2 acoustics, as well as a ukulele. I enjoy playing acoustic the most. I'm not great, but I can carry a tune and sing.

Some of my favorite songs to play at the moment are (with links to youtube videos):

And this is just a great picture I took of D.C. from Arlington a few months ago. Enjoy:

On the up-and-up

Speaking of all this resting, I was starting to feel better so went out for an easy 4 miles a few nights ago just to test the waters.  The back pain came back enough to know I need to keep resting.  I should have been more frustrated, but I have almost arrived at a strange state of calm - just accepting that I can't rush things, and should not set any goals for myself unless I am fine with being severely disappointed.  Wow, that sounded depressing.  Sometimes its like there is a greater force that doesn't want me to run.  I know I'll get better, but it just isn't "fun" if you are constantly worried about your next injury or not being able to push it.

I keep gradually feeling back to normal, so I'll try a few more days of cross-training before I attempt to run again.

1 comment: