Running should feel natural

Running should feel natural

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Evolving in Summer

The Next Step: Ultras

Now that I had some trail experience under my belt I wanted to sign up for a real Ultra.  Well, "real" should be taken lightly as a 50k is kind of an entry level race in the ultra running world.  Still, it would be the furthest I had ever ran and a good test to see if I actually enjoy ultra-running, or if its just a race for the sake of overcoming a challenge.

Race: Dahlgren Rail Trail 50k
Date: August 4, 2012
Time: 4:40:03

Recap:  This race was hot, in the high 70s at dawn and with considerable humidity and climbing into the upper 80s in the late morning.  However, I came prepared for this, both mentally, and with my pacing and drinking strategies so somehow it wasn't that big of a deal.  It was mostly in the shade which makes a huge difference too.  Anyone who signs up for an ultra in August in Virginia should not be complaining about heat and humidity!

Looking a little too happy, especially
considering im soaked in sweat - coming
back from the turn around.

As with almost all ultras, this race was run almost entirely on trails.  It took place on an old Railway trail-bed converted into walking trails.  These weren't really purest trails (certainly not in the hiking trail category), but still much softer than pavement.  Again, since it was a new distance for me and I wasn't sure what to expect I tried to go out conservatively.  In retrospect I should have gone out a little slower but I had no idea at the time.  I ran for a bit with the eventual women's winner but around 15 miles in let her go as I knew I needed to hold back some.

The last 5-6 miles were easily the toughest.  I came into an aid station that was about 6 miles from the end so at this point I knew I was in the clear.  I passed another small aid station and had just a few miles left.  At this point I was getting really tired and thirsty (but so was everyone else so no one was really gaining on me).  I started a strategy, going off the mile marks, to run 1 mile, then reward myself by about 30 seconds of walking.  I repeated this 3 times until I was in the home stretch.

Then, somehow, I missed the final turn.  It was a newbie move on my part and no one else seemed to have any trouble, but I was a little frustrated with the organizers.  Every other turn had a huge sign that said "Turn Here" with an arrow.  This one just had a cone in the middle of a path, and some utility type flags on the ground. I interpreted that as don't turn here, so I kept going for about 1,000 meters until realizing that was probably it.  In some burst of adrenaline and anger based energy, I sprinted back [up a hill] to the turn, and was still able to out kick someone in the last 200 meters.  On the downside, I probably lost about 7 minutes off my time; on the upside, my new distance PR was 32 miles (not 31.1 miles which is 50 km).

Finally coming into the finish after running 32 miles.

Lessons Learned

In reference to the trail marathon and the rail-trail 50km races, I picked up some strategies that I plan on implementing on my next ultras, presented in bullet form:

  • Aid stations: take just enough time to get a drink, re-fuel your bottles, and grab food to go.  Don't dilly dally, it adds up.
  • Bathrooms: sometimes the port-a-potties are not very close the race course.  Bring toilet paper in a plastic bag and go discretely in the woods.  You'll waste a lot less time than looking for a toilet.
  • Fluids: drink drink drink.  You shouldn't feel stuff sloshing around, but out-drink your thirst.  My goal is to have both my bottles empty when I come into an aid station (but not too early).
  • Food:  I survive mostly on gu's and energy gels/foods, but you eventually get a little "real" hunger so grab a small snack (like a cookie) at aid stations, and be ready to eat more as the day goes on.
  • Course: Try to study the course and cues.  Don't assume it will be well marked or that an attendant will tell you where to go.
  • What to Carry: I found my 2, Amphipod 12 oz bottles sufficient to carry enough fluids between aid stations, which were about 5 miles apart.  I carried gu's in my pockets, and little pouches on the bottles to carry my other supplies (Hammer Enduralyte pills, extra Gu, bag with toilet paper, ID).
  • Drop Bag:  I did leave a drop bag with some snacks, extra socks, sunscreen, body glide, and other goodies.  Didn't really need it, probably a waste of time when I grabbed a snack out of it, but better safe than sorry, especially on the body glide.

Gu: Eww?!

Oh, and while im at it ill talk about Gu.  I've tried a few different Energy Gel products (Gu, Powerbar Energy Gel, Hammer Gel, etc.) and it's hard to pick a favorite (because they all taste kind of nasty).  However, they are a necessary evil.  Since most races give out Gu brand energy gel I try to stick with that to make sure my stomach is used to it.  Always take any energy gel with a cup of water.  You can wash it down with electrolyte drink but I've heard too much electrolytes at once can make you sick.

As far as flavors go, I really like the Mandarin Orange gu flavor.  Plain, lemon-lime, blackberry, and peanut butter aren't bad either.  I think the chocolate ones taste extra nasty.  If you need to leave a real ace up your sleeve for later in a race try the Gu: Roctane line.  I wouldn't take these regularly, but it has like triple the sodium, carbs, and caffeine for when you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment