Running should feel natural

Running should feel natural

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Taper Time

3 Weeks Out from Chicago Marathon


With 3 weeks until Chicago Marathon (my goal marathon of the season) I am pretty optimistic.  I feel like my fitness has really improved, and my speed hasn't suffered too bad considering all the high mileage and ultra-type training I have implemented.  Most importantly, I haven't suffered any major injuries the entire training cycle (only a few minor aches that I was able to mitigate).  This is HUGE, and I attribute it to my more conservative approach, a more mid-foot/ fore-foot "natural" running style, and the addition of trail running to my training.

Race: Navy Federal Credit Union 5k
Date: Sept. 15, 2012
Time: 18:15

Recap:  This is a smaller, community type race I try to do every year.  However, they are now getting over 800 runners registered so its all relative.  The crowd is hard to predict - a few years ago we had a handful of elites show up and I could only muster up about 10th overall, 3rd in my age group.  Last year (pictured below) only one elite guy showed up.  He won first handily in the low 16:00s, I excitedly got 2nd in just over 18 minutes.  This year was kind of a mix.  The winner did mid 16:00s, I ended up in 4th place overall, 1st in my age group at least.

It was an exciting race at least.  I went out as planned, and at about a mile in figured I was trailing the 3rd place guy by too much to be able to catch up or make a move.  I kept at it, and with about 200 meters to go I had him within striking distance so I made a move then.  I began to out-kick him but he responded with a sprint to the finish.  I think he beat me about about 0.2 seconds.  I should have started the kick earlier, and pushed harder through the pain.  There was a quick instant when we were almost to the finish where it flashed through my head that I couldn't catch him - at this point it was over.  Had I been able to dig deeper and keep my sprint up I think I could have beat him and taken 3rd overall.  I also doubt he had put in 90 miles on the week 2 weeks ago, raced a half-marathon last week, or did back to back 4 hours long runs the week before that, so I'm pretty sure that if I was fresh it would have been no contest.


Starting line from last year - basically same as this year.

I also ended up finishing almost 15 seconds slower than last year.  While this might seem disappointing at first, its actually a pretty good effort considering how tired I was from training, that I have focused more on long distance then speed work, and since last year I had been doing to much track and tempo work.


Top 3 from last year 's (2011) NFCU 5k race.  I liked that better.
This is always a fun and reliable 5k to do each fall, and has a habit of falling on one of the first "really nice" and cool days of the year.

Back-to-back-to-back

As well as the weekend went overall (20 miles total Saturday, 3 of that racing a 5k, and 18 miles on trail sunday) I didn't get the one big honkin' LSD (long slow distance) run of 3 hours (or around 22 miles) that I had hoped for.  So because of that, and partially to make up some miles that I had missed resting last Tuesday, I went out for a longer run Monday night.  I cleverly brought my running clothes to work with me downtown in DC, so that I could run home.  Point to point it can be done in only 6 miles, but I had extra add-ons to bump it up to 2 hours (or about 16 miles).  It was tough, but I finished strong - and hungry.

These next few weeks will see a decrease in mileage, especially on the weekends, as well as some extra track work and "sharpening" runs, and a few medium distance efforts at marathon race pace.  Its funny how much I am dreading not being out on the trails for extended periods of time.  When I was only road running it was such a relief to get your last 3+ hours road run in, but now I can't wait until ultra season when I can spool back up on multi-hour romps through the woods!

NOW it's officially taper time.  Hope I don't go crazy from all the boredom!

No comments:

Post a Comment