Running should feel natural

Running should feel natural

Monday, September 3, 2012

Injuries and Coming Back

Overtraing Leads to Injury

Now that I had a great speedbase (as tested at the Army 10 miler) I figured I could sign up for a Winter Marathon, up the mileage and knock out a killer Marathon PR!  Great plan in thinking, but extended training sessions, too much quality work, and too many mid-week long runs has a high risk for injury (and thats what ended up happening).  I had been the victim of a few minor injuries in the past but this time I got hit with shin splints in a classic case of over training.

I had written out my plan to peak at around 75 miles per week several times in preparation for Miami, and keep up the track work and occasional tempo.  Even when I was feeling sore or fatigued, I would complete the workouts anyway.  I kept opting for a single longer run in the evening (12-14 miles), even though I was aware splitting it up (e.g. 5 in morning, 7 in evening) is easier on the body.  Eventually my shins got the better of me and I was on full rest.  Shins splints are common in beginner runners (since the shins aren't used to all that pounding yet), but can affect anyone ramping up their training, doing too much speed work, heavy pro-nators and heal strikers (i.e. me) or just someone unlucky.  They may be caused by tight or weak calf muscles too.  Shin splints are caused by microtears on the muscles connected to the shins and are kind of like a very early sign of a stress fracture in the making.

Shins splints are also incredibly frustrating because all you can really do is rest.  Well R.I.C.E. (Rest - Ice - Compression - Elevation) is worth doing, but you need about 6-8 week of rest in most cases.  So I took a few weeks off, starting practicing more and more yoga, and starting getting on the bike.  I did take a liking to spinning classes, doing several each week, a healthy habit that's stuck with me as I still try to spin once every week or two.  The shins splints popped up around early November and I wasn't back out running until early January.

Race: Miami Half-Marathon
Date: January 29, 2012
Time: 1:32:32

Recap:  I actually felt decent heading into this one (I was able to switch from the Full Marathon to the Half since I knew I wasn't prepared for the full), but things didn't really go as planned.  Even in January its warm out down there, and that year was warmer than normal.  The race starting temperature was in the 60s with considerable humidity.  I should have adjusted my already ambitious goal but went out fast anyway seeking something in the low 1:20s.  After about the 10k mark I knew I would have to slow down, and after 8ish miles I was almost on the verge of bonking (from dehydration and overheating).  I wanted to walk at several points but I slugged it out.  I hope to be back for the full someday!

Still a neat experience, I love Miami and this trip was just a short over-nighter to get to the race.  Everything is a lot different when you are waking at 4am for a race thats starts in the dark (rather than staying out until 4am and sleeping the day away).

Hanging out a bit at Miami beach the day before the race.
Packet pick-up was on South Beach, even thought the race starts
and ends downtown.  The course goes through all parts of the city.

The eventual Marathon winners, coming through downtown.


Race: National "Rock-n-Roll USA" Marathon
Date: March 17, 2012
Time: 3:18:46

Recap:  This was supposed to be my big Marathon come-back race, and to an extent it was.  I probably should have gone for a more conservative time in the 3:10s, but I was feeling strong and thought I was in more like 3:03 shape.  This may have been true, but like a lot of races in the spring of 2012 the weather did not co-operate.  It wasn't terrible, but far from ideal - probably low 60s at race start and into the 70s by the 3rd hour.

Since I got over my shin splints I started having some IT band issues that further frustrated me in winter, so that was another hurdle to overcome.  More R.I.C.E., massage, yoga and strengthening to balance out the muscle strength in my legs seems to keep it at bay.  I think foam rolling is one of the best things you can do to ward off IT band syndrome - even if you don't have ITBS problems, foam rolling can keep it that way.  The idea being that you can massage and relax the IT band, which runs from the hip down to the knee on the outside of the leg.  When its too tight, stressed, or overused it tightens, causing it to rub across the outside of your knee.  This can make it feel like a knee injury - further proof that an accurate prognosis is the first step in overcoming an injury.

I ran the first half in an even 1:30 but started getting tired around mile 18, and then really lost it around mile 22.  A classic Marathon Bonk!!  I walk-ran a bit, took in fluids and gels, and was able to really run it out the last mile.  I still finished ecstatic that I made it through the marathon injury free after a winter of set-backs.


Great shot mid-race! Minor
photo-shopping  may have been performed...
Post-race with a few of my running buddies.

Race: GW Parkway 10 Miler
Date: April 22, 2012
Time: 1:04:17

Recap:  I was continuing my comeback into spring, as I had some IT Band issues on my right side/knee popping up even after the Marathon in March.  After a disciplined approach of stretching, yoga, [sometimes painful] foam-rolling, strengthening and (of course) conservative running this was a great chance to test my speed.  I knew if I had a fairly successful race my risk of injury would be pretty low from here on out.

Another nice run down to the Potomac River into Alexandria, I felt solid and kept it easy then started pushing the pace about 7 miles in.  Had a fine time (but not a PR) to show for it so I was pleased.

Race: Fly Like an Eagle 5k
Date: April 29, 2012
Time: 18:02

Recap:  Though this was a smaller, community type 5k I had an awesome time - because I won!  I think the next runner was almost a minute behind me, but I didn't mind.  While I think its in poor taste for semi-elites or college trained runners to go out and blow by everyone in little grass-roots races, I don't think there is anything wrong with a completely self-trained runner in his late 20s to go out there and bring home the bacon!  Plus the race was out near wear my parents live in central Virginia, so a nice reason to visit home.  I had gotten top 3 in a few 5ks before and won my company's 5k, but this was extra fun since people gave me that "wow" look as I cruised in to victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment